Situated 16-km from Pahalgam, Chandanwari is the starting point of the Amarnath Yatra, which takes place every year in the month of Sawan (Rain). It is famous for snow sledging on a snow bridge.Taxi cabs can be hired from Pahalgam for a roundtrip. The trip takes about four-five hours on a semi-road that has the Lidder river meandering on the one side, and lofty, snow-capped mountains on the other. Some people prefer to do a day hike to Chandanwari.At Chandanwari, the Sheeshnag river is captivating with its sheer force and clear waters. You can get an opportunity to do sledge riding and get up to some heights, upto the fifth point which is also a route that yatris take to reach the Amarnath Cave. “Snow fights” is what people generally indulge in here before they sledge back down. Many prefer to sip a cup of tea of snack at the near by dhabas.Hajan, on the way to Chandanwari is an idyllic spot for a picnic. Filmgoers will recognize it instantly as it has been the location of several movie scenes.”Betaab Valley” is the place where they shot the famous scenes from movie Betaab.
Chandanwari is also known for its natural attractions. It has some of the best picnic spots and is reachable by road. Mini buses operate from Pahalgam to Chandanwari. The weather can be very unpredictable at the place so do carry some warm clothes and rain coats as well.
- Special Features : The Pony ride and the Palanquin rides are a must do however, if you do like trekking then a walk to the caves is a must do. The place is also famous for its picnic spots and its natural beauty.
- Connectivity : The place is connected by road however, to go up to the caves you need to either walk or take a pony ride or a Palanquin ride.
- Dressing restrictions : Carry something for rain and cold weather as the weather can be very unpredictable at the place.
- Nuisance : The place is calm and free of irritants
- Best time to visit : During the summers from the mid April to mid June is good time to visit the place.
- Entry fee : No entry fee is charged
- Suggestions : Do be well prepared for the weather changes.